The REALTOR® Association of Southern Kentucky has joined forces again this year with schools and non-profit organizations to bring focus to the hunger-relief efforts in Allen, Butler, Edmonson, Logan, Muhlenberg, Simpson and Warren Counties. In its 9th year, the event was designed with the purpose to feed children and families who are struggling with food insecurity.
Due to the COVID-19 impact on businesses and the health of the communities, the REALTOR® Association of Southern Kentucky members had to adjust this year’s event to a sorting and delivery event only. In year’s past, the members and other business partners slept in tents over a three-day event collecting monetary and item donations, while bringing awareness to homelessness and food insecurities.
“The REALTORS® Hope for Hunger event is a special one for our organization; we have seen in the past years how the generous donations from our community has helped those who are homeless or struggling with other basic needs.” said Angi Cline, 2020 REALTORS® Community Service Chair. “This year, we have worked with community partners and Family Resource Coordinators to make sure the needs are identified of children and families in our counties and then those needs met.”
127,900 servings of non-perishable cans and boxes of food were collected and sorted at the warehouse of the regional food bank, Feeding America Kentucky’s Heartland (FAKH), in Elizabethtown on May 12, 2020. Deliveries will be made on May 28, 2020 by FAKH drivers and members of the REALTOR® Association of Southern Kentucky.
- “The partnership with the REALTOR® Association of Southern Kentucky has proven to be very beneficial right from the start.” said Jamie Sizemore, FAKH Executive Director. “As the regional food bank covering their service area, FAKH is able to assist the realtors’ group with the logistics of both the food acquisition and delivery.”
- The food delivery schedule for May 28, 2020 is as follows:
- 7:45 a.m. CST – Simpson County Schools, deliver to 320 College Beasley House, Franklin KY
- 8:00 a.m. CST – Logan County and Russellville City Schools, deliver to 501 Johnson Street, Russellville KY
- 8:30 a.m. CST – Bowling Green Independent Schools, deliver to 503 Old Morgantown Road, Bowling Green KY
- 9:00 a.m. CST – Butler County Schools, deliver to Morgantown Mission at 105 S. Main, Morgantown KY
- 9:00 a.m. CST – Warren County Schools, deliver to 274 Cypress Wood Way, Bowling Green KY
- 9:45 a.m. CST – Allen County Schools, deliver to 1545 Bowling Green Rd, Scottsville KY
About REALTOR® Association of Southern Kentucky
The REALTOR® Association of Southern Kentucky represents over 600 REALTOR® members, involved in all aspects of real estate in Allen, Butler, Edmonson, Logan, Muhlenberg, Simpson and Warren Counties. Over 100 affiliated businesses also hold membership in the Association. The Association is governed by a Board of Directors and served by volunteer committees. The dedication of the volunteers who have contributed countless hours of service attribute to the success of the association. An association staff of four is given the responsibility of the operations and implementation of the programs, products, and services provided to its members.
About Feeding America, Kentucky’s Heartland
Feeding America, Kentucky’s Heartland is a regional food bank which provides assistance to more than 174,500 people in 42 Kentucky counties each year. Through support from individuals and organizations, such as United Way, FAKH distributes over 14 million pounds of food to more than 225 food pantries, soup kitchens, and shelters. FAKH also sponsors various hunger relief programs including the BackPack™ Program and Senior Box (CSFP) Program. FAKH’s main office and warehouses are located on Peterson Drive in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. For more information or to volunteer, sponsor a fundraiser or a food drive, or to make a secure online donation to Feeding America, Kentucky’s Heartland, visit their website at: www.feedingamericaky.org