The 150th Anniversary Committee of Cave City is seeking interested parties willing to participate in the Cave City & Mammoth Cave Cemetery Tour to be held August 22, 2015.
The tour will include the Cave City Cemetery, Mammoth Cave Baptist Church Cemetery and Old Guide Cemetery at Mammoth Cave Hotel. Actors will portray former residents of the area who, in a 5 minute monologue, relay the story of their life and the community around them. There will be three performances the night of the event.
Volunteers are needed for the following roles:
- Tour Guides – 3
- Stephen Bishop – African-American Male – cave guide
- Oliver Blair – young male – TB patient
- Edmund Turner – middle age male - geologist
- Floyd Collins – young male – cave explorer
- Leola Estes – young female - waitress
- Louie Blakeman – mature female – physician’s widow
- Margaret Shackleford – older female – farm wife
- Thomas Harvey Hatcher – mature male – Civil War soldier
- Henry Payton Houchens – mature male - farmer
- Daniel Smith Curd – middle age male – merchant
“Cemetery tours have been a popular means of portraying community history”, states Paul Sullivan, Chair of the 150th Anniversary Committee. “The living history event is essentially a play. We are working closely with Mammoth Cave National Park on several events because their 200th Anniversary and Cave City’s Anniversary are the same year. The history of the two are so closely tied together, it’s difficult to separate them. This will be a fun way for residents and visitors alike to learn about the history of Cave City and Mammoth Cave in a 90 minute tour of 3 cemeteries. The people portrayed in this event cover the years from 1811-1947”. Tickets will be $10 per person with a limit of 120 participants.
For more information contact: Cave City Convention Center, 502 Mammoth Cave St, 270-773-3131 or Cave City Chamber of Commerce 418 Mammoth Cave St., 270-773-5159.