The Kentucky Arts Council invites all Kentucky visual artists to submit work for consideration in the upcoming Governor's Derby Exhibit, April 3 – May 8, 2017. The works selected for the exhibit will be on display in the Capitol Rotunda, available for viewing by all visitors to the Capitol.
Theme: Kentucky Stories
The storytelling tradition is strong in Kentucky and everyone has a story. What is the story you want to tell? Show us family histories; Kentucky myths, legends and folktales; or your personal story. If your work is accepted, be prepared to submit a brief written statement about the story.
All Kentucky visual artists 18 and over are welcome to submit up to two entries for consideration. The work must be original; two-dimensional; framed and ready to hang; and completed since January 2013. The overall dimensions, including frame, may not exceed 36 inches. The weight limit is 25 pounds.
· There are no submission fees.
· To apply, artists must fill out the online application form and submit digital images.
· Digital images should be JPEGs at 300 dpi, with the longest side of the image approximately 10 inches. Slides, photographs, photocopies of artwork and original artworks will not be accepted for the jury process.
· The artist may decide whether or not to offer his/her work(s) for sale. There will be no commission taken on sales. Potential buyers will be given the artists' contact information, so the artist may deal directly with the potential buyer.
· Titles or prices of artwork may not be changed after the work is accepted for the exhibit.
· Dimensions (including frame) may not exceed 36 inches in width or height.
· The artwork should not exceed 25 pounds.
· If works are accepted, it is the responsibility of the artist to deliver or ship the artwork to the arts council offices in Frankfort by the deadline. It is also the artist's responsibility to pick up the work at the end of the exhibit. Please note that we recently moved to a new office. Our new address is 1025 Capital Center Dr., Third Floor, Frankfort.
· The arts council will transport the artwork to and from the arts council offices and the Capitol. In order to protect the artwork during transport, all work MUST be wrapped in bubble wrap, or other protective wrapping, and packed in a box. Please do not use Styrofoam peanuts or shredded paper as packing material.
· An exhibit loan agreement form will be sent to all artists whose works are selected for this exhibit. This should be returned to the arts council with the artwork.
· All works will be insured while in the possession of the arts council.
· Artwork must remain in the exhibit for the entire duration, even if sold.
- March 9 Application deadline
- March 12 Image deadline (images must be submitted through Dropbox)
- March 15 Artists notified of selection via email
- March 20–29 Works shipped or delivered to the Kentucky Arts Council office, Frankfort
- April 3–May 8 Exhibit on display in the Capitol Rotunda, Frankfort
- May 10–26 Works picked up from the Kentucky Arts Council office, Frankfort
2. Fill out the online application form. Do not press the Enter/Return key while filling in the form, as this will submit the form prematurely. If this happens, you will have to start over and complete another form.
3. Within two to three days of finishing the application, you will receive an email inviting you to submit digital images to Dropbox, a free, online service for sharing JPGS and other documents. You will be asked to create an account for Dropbox, if you do not already have one, but you will not be required to download software.
4. Title the image files using the code GD17, followed by the title of the piece. For example, if the piece is titled "Spring Meadow," the file (or image) name would be: GD17SpringMeadow.jpg. If you submit more than one piece that is untitled, label them sequentially: GD17Untitled1, GD17Untitled2, etc. Please do not use spaces or underscores in the file name.
5. Upload your images to Dropbox.
6. Within two to three days, you will receive an email confirming receipt of the images and statement.
7. Submissions with missing information will be ineligible.
Artists will be notified of acceptance to the exhibit via email by March 15.
Delivering Your Work, March 20 – 29
You may deliver or ship (via USPS, UPS, or FedEx) the accepted works to the arts council offices, open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Eastern. We recently moved to a new office located at: 1025 Capital Center Dr., Third Floor, Frankfort, KY 40601.
Remember to securely wrap and package your work in a box.
Contact Kate Sprengnether at Kate.Sprengnether@ky.gov, or 502-892-3111.